Thursday, December 11, 2008

How Will You Make 2009 Better than 2008?

I've begun my period of year-end self reflection, and thought I'd share some thoughts and ask about your insights. Know Yourself is the first key component of the Competent Advantage model, as we know it's important to learn about the motivators, drives and values that inspire us and keep us going when the going gets tough.

Two external sources have been helpful for me on my self-reflection journey:

  1. I came across a great article on the E-Myth Blog that offers some questions to help Identify Your Primary Aim. The "A-HA!" moment for me was the suggestion to forget about my business and focus on what I really want in LIFE (Yes, even the Coach can have a "DUH! Moment"). Otherwise, my business will become more like one of those "jobs" that many struggle to avoid.
  2. While at the Library, I checked out a book to really help me drill down on these concepts called: The Passion Test: The Effortless Path to Discovering Your Life Purpose.

SO, as you reflect on 2008, how would you evaluate your accomplishments?

  • What were the highlights? As strange as it may seem, it’s important to take note of things that you did well. Don’t be shy – write them down! Why? Because descriptions of your professional successes can come in handy at your year-end performance review with your manager, or on your next interview with a recruiter. And, keeping a journal of your personal wins can be very inspiring when you need a quick pick-me-up! Besides if you don’t write them down, you may forget subtle details that could make your story that much more compelling.

  • What were the low(er) lights? It’s just as important to keep track of the things that didn’t go quite as well as you would’ve hoped. Why? Having a clear sense of what areas you’d to like improve can help you focus and channel your energies. It also will help you identify the resources you’ll need to make the changes become a reality.

Based on your reflection, what personal and professional goals will you set for yourself in 2009? Remember, that I'm offering you a FREE incentive to SHARE your goals with me in our 2009 Personal & Professional Development Survey.

What resources and experiences will you seek out to help you accomplish those goals? How about ...

  • Classes, training or books

  • Mentors or trusted advisors

  • "Stretch" assignments or new opportunities

  • Professional associations or social networks

As a life-long learner, I'm excited about continuing my year-end, self-reflection journey (it's really been an active and ongoing process this year). I know it will help me be a better advisor, business owner, coach, consultant, friend and person in 2009 -- and beyond!

I'd love to hear about your insights and reflections. Please post here or tweet me @Coach_Colette.

No comments: