Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Poll on Poverty for Blog Action Day







<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&BB_id=122912">What can you do to help alleviate poverty?</a> <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

I must admit that I did some self-coaching today before posting this poll. I'd already registered the blog as part of Blog Action Day last week and created my reminder to make a post before October 15. Now, all left was to write the post. And, I was stuck! Why?

I was feeling guilty -- how could I ask people to consider ways to alleviate poverty when many are dealing with potential career and/or financial stressors? Well, after reading ideas on the "What Can One Person Do?" page, I realized that I fell into the same trap of powerlessness that I coach and train my clients/workshop participants to fight against. Imagine that!

It then occurred to me that sometimes putting the focus off ourselves and onto others can be a good way to gain perspective on our own lives. How many times have you been inspired by stories of others who have overcome great obstacles in their lives? It also occurred to me that focusing on a greater cause such as alleviating poverty may bring oneself closer to identifying personal goals and values -- a key component of the Competent Advantage component "Know Yourself."

Then, I recalled something that was said at the memorial service I attended on Sunday (loosely paraphrased): "Pick something -- stand for it -- and be the change you'd like see happen."

So, today, Coach Colette picks "finding ways to level the global playing field." I'm sharing this post and poll to facilitate a global dialogue, brainstorming, idea sharing, best practice exchange on the subject. What do you think? What will you do?

4 comments:

fatfighter said...

I always make an effort to donate to charities, and I know they are really hurting right now... so I will be sure to make a donation this year.

Anonymous said...

Hi Collette: What a great post and a great reminder that coaches are human too! :-)

Thanks for stopping by Be Naturally Well community and adding your blog to our health directory. There are a couple of requirements in order to stay linked, that you can find below the list of health blogs, that include a reciprocal link. Yours is a FANTASTIC resource and I hope you will consider complying!

Many Blessings,
Shelley

Anonymous said...

Hi Colette,

Just wanted to say that I've started reading your blog. I'm wondering if you have heard about the book, "What Men Don't Tell Women About Business". I heard the guy (Chris Flett) on the Today Show and thought you probably have already heard of him. I'm wondering what your thoughts were. He seems to be really taking on the 'Old Boys Club". I just emailed him, but haven't heard back.

Anyway, keep up the great writing.

Best,

Bihter.

Anonymous said...

Hi Colette,

I've been doing some additional research on the author, Chris Flett, that I talked about on my last comment. His company is "GhostCEO" (www.GhostCEO.com) and his book is a bestseller. I found it on Amazon here. Anyway, he was in the NY Times last Sunday under the "Career Couch" and he makes reference to women's blogs like yours so I thought you might like to connect. I'd like to see you interview him and see what he's all about. I saw on another blog he was a guest blogger. His email is: chris@ghostceo.com

Best wishes,

Bihter.