Saturday, May 03, 2008

A Personal Note: My Parents Sing at Lincoln Center

Happy Saturday! Last month, my parents had the opportunity to perform three times at JAZZ @Lincoln Center! How did this happen?

Well, they are part of the Bicentennial Choir of Abyssinian Baptist Church -- a special combined choir that was convened to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the Church. This choir performed along with Wynton Marsalis & his Jazz Orchestra on April 10-12 at Lincoln Center and on April 19 at the Church. The performance was phenomenal!

And, not merely based on my [admittedly-biased] opinion. The story captured the attention of many media outlets, including Eye on New York -- which had a special feature on the performances last Sunday. In the video clip, my dad actually appears for a brief moment (to the right of Wynton).

Needless to say I'm very proud of my parents (not just for this, of course!). As my dad said, "it was a great time in our lives, not to be forgotten!"

No comments: