Monday, February 05, 2007

Ever Made an Outrageous Career Transition?

While planning for the new year, some of my core advisors [thanks to AH, LSJ & SR!] and I were trying to come up with a slogan that would inspire us to keep focused on our goals. We all know how positive self-talk can give us courage to deal with various professional and personal obstacles. After some consideration and discussion, we decided to keep it simple. Our slogan is:
BE BOLD in 2007!

Each of us is free to use the slogan individually and share it as a gentle reminder to help each other press on despite challenges or naysayers. I thought I'd share it with you to begin a discussion that's been on my mind lately -- career transitions.

Have you ever made an OUTRAGEOUS career transition? You know, the type when you first told people the move you wanted to make they said: "What?!? No one's ever done THAT before?" or "Are you CRAZY? They'll never hire someone with your background?" I invite you to post your stories -- the good, the bad and the ugly -- and I will do the same. It's a great way to give encouragement and help each other avoid potential pitfalls.

Speaking of making bold transitions, my pal Diane Danielson (founder of Downtown Women's Club) would love to hear YOUR opinions on workplace issues like "opting out" out of the workforce. Take a few moments to complete her survey at: http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey-intro.zgi?p=WEB226447M65N8.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Coming over from Ryze to play along:

My life has been nothing but a series of these. My first jobs went from a few temp positions in normal office work to a decade-long career as an exotic dancer.

After my knees and back let me know my expiration date had passed on that sort of thing, I retired my platform heels and started work as a life coach!

Having done that for a few years, with some great successes, I'm now turning my attention toward building a practice as a professional copy and freelance writer. Why? Why not?

While all this was happening over the years, I have also spent a year as an Americorps member building houses for Habitat for Humanity, completed a 2-year certification in automotive repair and am now into my second year in Americorps working with underprivileged kids in academic settings.

My life needs one of those "Warning: Vehicle makes sudden stops and turns" stickers on it, just to give folks around me fair warning! LOL.