Friday, February 09, 2007

Outrageous Transitions: Career Twists & Turns


Thanks, Soni, for sharing your herstory with us!
Your comment about sudden stops and turns intrigued me. My career turns have been the transitions I've made across different industries. Over the years, I have transitioned from Law to Nonprofit to Corporate HR to Consulting to Entrepreneurship. It's been an exciting (and often challenging) journey!

One of the biggest challenges to overcome was convincing potential employers of my transferable skills (those abilities that would add value to their team regardless of the organization in which I learned them). I also had to become good at connecting the dots -- helping employers to understand the logic behind my career decisions.

But, enough about me! What about YOU? What outrageous career transitions have you made? What twists and turns have you had on your journey?

Or, have you had sudden career stops -- life or professional changes that caused you to leave the workforce? What was it like to come back? Share your experiences so we all can learn and grow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I came across this wonderful blog when my google alerts pinged me. This post is precise though short. Like You were sharing your experience in your career transition, I felt I should post some authentic comments. You know, In my experience, What I have seen is people with high competencies and knowledge do not withstand to a one employer stop in their career journey. They would want to venture in life, try new ideas, bring creative thoughts, implement them. Their journey is never ending. If this is not what the idealogy with many before, we'dn't have had a chance to bring dynamic business leaders creating millions of job opportunities. You did the same thing I believe. Moving from an employee to an entreprener, You've seen the various stages of career progression. Its a wonderful experience which only a small group of people get and You only have to feel pride about yourself no matter what you accomplished monetarily!!

By the way, I'm Ram from India. I'm into HRO industry. I do research as well as the outsourcing business in India. DO visit my blog. Thanks

www.hromanager.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

does anyone know about this site that shows other companies supporting Novell support and outsourcing solutions for local companies

Not sure if their are Indian companies on there, but I saw local companies. Is anyone getting business from this site?