Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Does Your Career Portfolio Match Your Shoes?

Now that fall semester and campus recruiting are in full swing, I thought we'd continue our conversation on career portfolios. OK, I was KIDDING with the title for this post. In our last post, we confirmed that we're NOT talking about fashion accessories! (just checking to see if you're paying attention)

A career portfolio is:
  • a reflection of your professional self
  • a record of your professional (or academic) development
  • tangible evidence of your "on-the-job" (or "in-the-classroom") performance

With that said, what do you think you should include in your career portfolio? Many career portfolios include:

  • Resume or CV
  • Licenses or Certifications
  • Letters of reference
  • Transcripts or diplomas
  • Professional affiliation documentation
  • Work samples (e.g., reports, presentations, etc.) With samples, it is important that you eliminate information that could be considered confidential.

The exercise of creating your career portfolio can help you to critically examine your life experiences and accomplishments. If you are preparing for an interview (or a performance appraisal meeting with your manager), the process enables you to highlight specific accomplishments and identify valuable workplace skills.

As usual, tell me about your experiences and thoughts. Soon, we'll discuss tips for organizing your career portfolio.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

lol...... I do not have a portfolio that match my shoes......... But i do have a pair of Timberland shoes that match my career portfolio........ lol... This is interesting post and I've almost read all of yours....

nike shox said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me. Really the article is spreading its wings rapidly...