Tuesday, October 09, 2012

How Can I Change My Career Path or Move to a New Industry?

Here's a photo from last month's coaching panel for City Tech alumni -- Today's Woman: Your Life, Career & Outfit. Pictured with me (L-R) are coaches Randi Cole and Shari Sambursky, along with event organizer Jessica Malavez.
Here's another career question posed by a participant at the event:

Q: What is the best way to change career paths or industries; i.e., how can I transition from a non-profit organization to a for-profit company?

A: from Coach Colette

Start by defining your ideal career vision -- to help you get a clear picture of what jobs will be most fulfilling and to screen companies or organizations during your job search. Try this on: just as they will be interviewing you to find the right fit for their company, you can be "interviewing" them to find the right fit for your career goals! Think about the elements that would shape your ideal work environment, the characteristics of the people you would prefer to work with, and the ways in which you would like to generate results and perform your responsibilities. Consider and complete the following statements:

* My ideal role would require I use which of my best skills and strengths?
* My ideal manager would be someone who ...
* My ideal work environment would have ...
* My ideal job/role would mean that I get to ...
* My ideal work-life balance would allow me to ...

Then, research who are the market leaders and successful companies in your target sector, and begin to identify where are the growth opportunities in your target industry. Begin to compare those companies to your idea career vision -- where do you find the greatest alignment or overlap? Also, discover which companies are hiring and review your network to find out who you know that works there (and/or can help you get connected to people there).

Determine which of your best skills and strengths would be of most value to this industry -- when you're moving to a different industry or sector, you may look to your transferable skills (skills that are valuable across different jobs or roles) -- and be able to explain why. Document examples of how you have used your best skills and strengths in your previous roles to add value to your current or former employers -- come up with as many quantifiable results as you can.

Identify relevant professional associations that have meetings and events in your area so that you can network and meet influential people in your target industry. Jump on the social networking bandwagon if you haven’t already (LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.).  If you’re looking to connect with someone in a specific company or industry, don’t be afraid to reach out directly or to be introduced by someone in your network.

Over the course of my professional career, I transitioned from the government sector to the non-profit sector to the corporate sector, and finally to entrepreneurship. In those moves, when I used aspects of the tips mentioned above, I had the best career experiences.

If you'd like more guidance on how to navigate your career in today's new normal, consider getting a copy of my Career Management Assessment and Career Management Workbook -- both available for purchase on my website.

How have YOU done it -- how have you made successful career transitions? Share your success stories and lessons learned here in the comments or tweet me on Twitter. And, keep an eye out for more Q&A from the coaches panel!

1 comment:

BorneoAngler said...

Great advice...thanks for sharing.
Feel free to visit and follow our fishing blog in Borneo at http://www.kakinginti.rumahpanjai.com .Cheers!!!