Friday, April 22, 2011

Coach Colette is Back in the Classroom -- Online!

As of this week, I'm on the "road" again, training librarians in advocacy, effective communication and leadership. Yet, this time, I don't even have to leave my office! Why? Because I'm facilitating Turning the Page 2.0 online!

You may recall reading about my adventures over the past two-and-half years -- training "rowdy" librarians on the PLA Tour in the US, and global librarians last September in Brussels. Well, TtP 2.0 is the facilitated, online version of that same program; designed to help library staff develop compelling cases for public support while building strategic business partnerships and community alliances.

Over the next six weeks, I'll be leading interactive webinars and small discussion groups to guide participants through the creation of an action plan that will drive their advocacy efforts and make a tangible difference at their libraries.

This online training program is being presented by the Public Library Association six times between 2011-2012, once again with generous support by The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation -- working to narrow the digital divide in the US and many developing countries in the world.

I'll plan to share some insights and "A-HA!" moments from the online sessions here on the blog and on Twitter.

On a personal note -- inspired by the generosity of the fabulous librarians I've met across the country, and motivated by the benefits my business has received on behalf of public libraries, I've recently joined the Friends of Carroll Gardens Library as a volunteer!

My first effort is to help create a buzz about our upcoming Love Your Library Day Book Sale & Fundraiser on Saturday, May 14th. Our goal is raise funds to buy new, low shelving for the children's area of the library -- to make it more user-friendly for young readers. It's fun to be involved on the volunteer level, as well. I'll also keep you posted on our efforts -- including how things progress with our Silent Auction!

How are YOU involved with or supporting YOUR public library?

No comments: