Tuesday, February 03, 2009

What's Your 140-Character Pitch?

What ARE you doing to promote your personal or professional brand - in 140 characters or less? I'm sure you've gotten quite prolific at texting or tweeting your latest commuting adventure, weekend escapade, famous person sighting, etc. in 140 characters or less.

But, can you use Twitter and/or other microblogging sites to create a buzz about what you're REALLY doing -- or perhaps seeking -- in your life?

The idea for this post hit me this morning around 7:15 AM [long story]; so I decided to Google careers in 140 characters. And, I discovered some interesting things. I came across a tweeter called The Media is Hiring, who "helps media employees who have been laid off find new work 140 characters at a time."

I also found a story about a woman named Chelsea Winkel who apparently found her job via connections she made on Twitter. Of course, when you read the story, you'll see that it took a bit more than just creating a Twitter account. Her Problem Solved blog and website both explain how she can add value in her industry. But, the connection with her new employer was sparked via Twitter.

Seems like Chelsea took Stephen Baker's advice from his Business Week Blogspotting blog, when he challenged us last May to write 140 character resumes for ourselves and famous people.

In essence, we're all now challenged to come up with 140-character pitches (instead of 30-second elevator speeches). As you know, I aim to practice what I preach, walk the talk, etc. So, I've come up with my (initial) 140-character pitch: "Coach Colette helps business leaders leverage their power, passion and relationships to achieve meaningful results in 140-characters or less."

What do you think? Tweet me your 140-character pitch at Coach_Colette.

3 comments:

fatfighter said...

I'll have to get back to you on this. I still don't have a 30-second elevator pitch! :)

chelseawinkel said...

Hi Colette: I dig the blog. I think to often people can underestimate the power of word of mouth. Knowing what you have to offer is one thing, being able to talk about it is another. Thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you found the article of interest.

Chelsea

Anonymous said...

"I too believe that it must be due to humidity!
Resume Writing