Friday, August 15, 2008

Get Coached on Work-Life Balance Strategies TOMORROW!

This is a quick reminder that tomorrow (Saturday) is the Craigslist Foundation Nonprofit Boot Camp at NYU. I'll be onsite as a career coach from 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM. And, given the statistics I read in an email today, I think we're all in need of some coaching on work-life balance!

According to a survey by AOL, here are some places that people send and receive emails:

· In bed in their pajamas: 67%
· From the bathroom: 59% (up from 53% last year)
· While driving: 50% (up from 37% last year)
· In a bar or club: 39%
· In a business meeting: 38%
· During happy hour: 34%
· While on a date: 25%From church: 15% (up from 12% last year)

OK, the bathroom stat makes me not want to borrow anyone's phone or BlackBerry anytime soon! I'll admit that I've checked email (or more likely texts) while at a bar waiting for someone to arrive [it's that knee-jerk reaction so you don't appear so "alone" while sitting there]. But, on a date? What would Andrea and the folks at MeetMarket Adventures have to say about that one?!

So you know I've written many posts about the challenges of being unplugged. I have noticed an increase in the number of emails I receive after 7:00 PM. Now, truth be told, it may not be an increase in traffic -- just a heightened awareness since now I, too, have a BlackBerry and can see the blinking light when a new message comes through. Although, I typically choose not to respond -- unless I've been on the road or out of the office all day. That's my caveat for evening/night emailing ... what's yours?

And, so, our work-life balance struggle continues. Which of the places above do you check email? What about texting?

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

59% of people have emailed in the bathroom? How long are they in there for? Yikes! In church? And on a date? Wow! The only time/place I email is when I am at work or at home, on a PC. Thankfully, I don't have a Blackberry, and likely never will. Being able to unplug and not be accessible 24/7 is important. There is no way we can achieve balance, if we are always "on". We need down time! Just because we have the modern convenience of technology, doesn't mean we have to be a slave to it.

Thanks for writing about an important topic!

www.kmoriarty.blogspot.com