Tuesday, February 14, 2012

How I Broke Through My Fears - Literally

I had the privilege to be a guest last Saturday at the Winter Rejuvenation Workshop hosted by Jasmin Terrany and her fantastic team of experts and healers. It was so rewarding to experience their gifts and take part in their activities to help re-align my mind-body-spirit.

As a coach, I know it's important to take ME-TIME, and this workshop was a great opportunity for me to practice what I preach. I'd like to share a bit about my personal breakthroughs.

The closing exercise was designed to help us find our true power so that we can experience true mind-body-spirit alignment. This was achieved through breaking -- several participants agreeing to strike a wood block with their fists. It's often in these situations that I'm not sure from where my motivation to participate strikes me. All I knew was my hand shot up in the air when El asked for volunteers.

My instruction was to write on one side of the board some of my FEARS [false evidence appearing real], and to write on the opposite side of the board some of my DREAMS [dedication responsibility education attitude motivation]. Then, at the front of the room, I would acknowledge my fears (by bowing to the board) and then BREAK-THROUGH by striking the board with my fist.

I was the first volunteer; so in addition to the fears I had written on the board, I also had performance anxiety chattering in my head ... "What if I don't break the board? Will they laugh at me? Will I de-motivate everyone else?" Not to mention, will I break my hand?!

Somehow, I was able to access my inner power, make connection with the board, face my fears, and BREAK-THROUGH to the other side! And, NOT break my hand, LOL! I've since kept the broken board pieces on my fireplace mantle as a reminder of my experience. What's ironic, though, is my little inner fear-voice inside isn't completely silenced. Occasionally, I've found "her" internally critiquing me because I didn't break-through the board in two equal parts like others had done. Of course, I know that my willingness to take this activity on and face my fears head-on is what counts. And, I'll always have the broken board as my reminder to motivate me when "she" surfaces. And, I'll gently let her know it's ok.

Was there a time that you faced your fears head-on? What happened? What did you learn? How are you stronger as a result of doing so? Share your comments here or tweet me on Twitter.

No comments: