Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Coach Colette is Finalist in '50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading' Contest

It was exciting to learn that I've been selected as a finalist in The Authors Show 2011 contest to select the 50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading.

More than 110 authors were chosen from an array of featured guest experts who were interviewed on one of their radio or TV shows this year -- including business, children's and wellness authors. From October 1 through October 8, YOU will have the chance to VOTE for your FAVORITE Writer from among the finalists (stay tuned for more details!).

The winning writers will have their stories published in the 2nd edition of 50 Great Writers You Should Be Reading.

My essay entry will feature my story of how I began writing. For me, my personal writing journey actually began in high school (winner of a National Council of Teachers of English award). My professional journey continued with beginning to write this blog back in 2005. In my essay, I share what I enjoy most about writing and what are my biggest writing challenges ... and how my "Muse" often saves me! I also discuss my motivation for writing my Focus on Your Vision eBook as a straightforward tool to help women reevaluate their priorities and give vision to their own greatness.

I also share 5 tips of advice for aspiring authors, two of which I can share here:
  1. Listen to your "self-talk" about your writing, your abilities and your chances of achieving your goals. How many of the messages are positive vs. negative?
  2. Coach yourself to "flip the script" and replace negative thoughts or messages with positive affirmations. Write down 1-3 positive strengths/skills that make you stand out from other authors in your genre.
If you want to read the rest of my tips for authors, you'll have to check out the contest site to Vote for Your Favorite Writer starting on October 1st!

No comments: